Tuesday, January 6, 2009

We have a house guest!


I have recently joined the ranks of a non-profit organization - Lost Our Home Pet Foundation - as a foster home. With the economy in such a sad state, I decided I could help someone in some way by offering a safe harbor for a pet that has been displaced due to economic hardship. I heard about LOHPF through a local radio station in Phoenix - 93.3 KDKB.


When I first offered my help I was told that most dogs that come through their organization were larger dogs. I was pretty specific about taking in a toy sized dog. After all, while I wanted to help, I couldn't see taking in a dog that wouldn't fit through our doggie door!


Well just before Christmas I got the news of a Pomeranian in need. His owner had lost her job and was facing eviction. Could I help? I spoke with the pet owner and arrangements were made for her to bring her pure bred Pomeranian, Wylie, by for a visit. And away we went.


Wylie is now pretending to be a Shih Tzu. All 20 pounds of him. His owner said he was 12 pounds. Well, maybe 8 pounds ago that was true.


From the Pomeranian breed standard:

Size, Proportion, Substance

The average weight of the Pomeranian is from 3 to 7 pounds, with the ideal weight for the show specimen being 4 to 6 pounds. Any dog over or under the limits is objectionable. However, overall quality is to be favored over size. The distance from the point of shoulder to the point of buttocks is slightly shorter than from the highest point of the withers to the ground. the distance from the brisket to the ground is half the height at the withers. He is medium-boned, and the length of his legs is in proportion to a well-balanced frame. When examined, he feels sturdy.


Yes, Wylie is STURDY.


My hope is that Wylie's owner can address her financial and housing issues and be reunited with Wylie by late spring. While obviously not a "show quality" Pomeranian, Wylie does possess the extroverted, intelligent personality indicative of the Pomeranian, magnified only by his size.


At least he fits through the doggie door!

No comments: