Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fired up

In the matter of just minutes my heart broke today. Then I got angry.

Sundays, in fact weekends in general here, are very laid back. I value the time I get with my dogs and as such, I don't plan much for weekends. I know - I'm boring!

So after a leisurely morning waking up and loving on the kids, I took off in search of my favorite treat - an iced coffee - large - lots of ice - brought home to be flavored with my secret recipe of sugar free items to make it nice and tasty. I know I could brew it myself, but it's just not the same. But I digress . . .

So as I'm driving thru the neighborhood, I see a sight that just broke my heart. There he was, a man sitting in front of his house with a pen full of puppies for sale.

Now I know that it's a free country and all of that. And it is unfortunate that people have come to a point in time when they seek any means they can to make money. Including breeding their pets. But the sign of the times doesn't make this any easier to look at.

Most people think that dogs are a commodity. I suppose the over abundance of animals out there available make it seem as such. But believe me when I tell you that pets - beloved animals we live with - should not be seen as a commodity. This is the reason there are shelters and euthanasia and the need for rescue. It's a catch 22 that just isn't improving and it is the force behind our government getting involved in an area of our lives in which it should not. It's not just puppy mills that are the cause of this problem. It's the backyard breeder that is the root cause.

Yes, it's a free country - and that's why on my way back home as I drove by - I stopped. And I begged the people looking at those puppies to seek out a responsible breeder from whom to get their next beloved family member.

All puppies are cute. Poorly bred or well bred - they are all adorable. The difference is that well bred dogs ARE NOT A COMMODITY. They are planned well in advance, they are carefully raised and they are NOT put out on the front stoop with a for sale sign in front of them. They have breeders that breed for the right reasons. Those puppies don't end up in shelters because their breeders take the time to find out about the people that adopt them. Responsible breeders are there to answer questions, or even in an extreme case, to rehome those puppies that become adults if and when the need ever arises. Responsible breeders only breed for themselves and betterment of their breed. They don't breed to fulfill a market or make a few bucks on the side. Responsible breeders have jobs and lifestyles they can afford without the need to sell a few puppies to make some extra money.

And that guy on the corner? He won't be around for you or your dog in the future. He'll take your money and try to pay his next bill with it. You just got what you paid for.

No comments: