Sunday, January 6, 2013

Placing Adult Dogs

One of the hardest parts about being a breeder is the heartbreak.  It occurs in many forms, and sometimes you know that you must feel the hurt in order to make a dog's life the best life possible.  This is the case in placing adult dogs.  Young or old, it hurts, but as a breeder I have to remember to do what is best for the dog and do what is best to move forward to continue the quest to improve on what I have.  Sometimes the older adults just stay.  And really I wish I could keep them all, but it is not reasonable to assume that keeping every dog gives that dog what he or she needs to have the best life possible.

I recently placed an older girl that I knew in my heart needed a home where she was queen of the castle.  She was always second fiddle to my alpha girl here and she longed to be number one.  So as hard as it was, I put her out there to see if there was any interest.  And surprisingly enough there was, even though she was about 7 years old.  I interviewed a couple of people that I totally found unsuitable.  And then the call came from a gentleman looking for a good dog for his mom who had recently lost her Shih Tzu to old age.  We talked for a great while and decided to meet.  When they arrived his mother seemed skeptical because of how attached my girl was to me.  That is to be expected, I said.  She's only known me.  But once she discovers I'm not there, she is going to latch on to the woman that is there.

It ripped my heart out to watch them leave with my girl.  But I knew it was the right thing to do.  We called it a test drive but I knew in my heart that this girl had found her next, and last forever home.  She would be loved and doted upon in a way I never could give. 

After a day I called and asked how things were going.  It was a positive report.  After a week, my girl's new momma called me to tell me there was no way she would ever give up her new found love.  A couple more weeks went by and I sent the paperwork for the transfer and I received the following  note in return:

Hi Nancy!

Thank you for my precious baby.

God has been so good to me.  She is a gift from heaven.

She is doing great.  No problems at all!

I know you must miss her.

Hope all is well with you.

PS:  I now call her Molly.  I kept calling her Maggie.  Molly was as close to that so we call her Molly.  No matter what she is called, all you have to say is "treat" and she comes running.

Love -
Anna

Now that warmed my heart.  And while the ache is still there because my girl is not here, I know that I did the right thing.  Molly is now totally the queen of her own castle!

No comments: